Where are Power Transformers found?
- Switch mode power supplies.
- Power conversion applications.
- Circuit isolation applications.
Design upper limits of a Power Transformer?
- Typical minimum requirements to be specified for a Power Transformer are:
- Power rating in VA.
- Frequency usually 60 Hz.
- Number of primary windings.
- Number of secondary windings.
- Operating voltages levels.
- Operating current levels
- Operating frequency is needed for core calculations and wire sizing.
- Core material is selected for the known operating frequency or frequencies which is typically silicon steel laminations.
- Other Power transformer design considerations are space limitations and mounting technique.
- Lead terminations are also specified through the design of a Power Transformer.
Power transformer designs vary widely in terms of power rating, voltage and current levels (turns ratios), operating frequency, size, impedance, bandwidth (frequency response), packaging, winding capacitance, and other parameters.