Where are Surface Mount Transformers found?
- Switch mode power supplies.
- Power conversion applications.
- Filter circuits
- Any application that the transformer can be designed on a surface mounted coil form.
Design upper limits of a Surface Mount Transformer:
- Typical minimum requirements to be specified for a Surface Mount Transformer are
- Power rating in VA.
- Operating frequency in Hz. Operating frequency is needed for core calculations and wire sizing.
- Operating current levels, DC in Amperes and AC in Amperes peak to peak.
- Number of primary windings, voltages & currents.
- Number of secondary windings, voltages & currents.
- Operating frequency is needed for core calculations and wire sizing.
- Core material is selected for the known operating frequency or frequencies which can be anything from silicon steel laminations to a ferrite core structure.
- Another surface mount transformer design consideration is space limitation.
Surface Mount Transformer designs vary widely in terms of power rating, voltage and current levels, operating frequency, size, impedance, bandwidth (frequency response), packaging, winding capacitance, and other parameters.